Departures scheduled everyday from Piano Provenzana
Departures planned everyday from Piano Provenzana on board of off-road vehicles. The first stop will allow us to see the ruins of the Hotel delle Betulle, the only visible structure among the ones destroyed by the lava flow of October 2002. At a height of about 1900 mt., we will start our trekking on the lava flows and on the explosive products of the 2002 eruption. The ring-route of the trekking will allow us to walk along the edges of the craters and to admire the morphology, called “a bottoniera”, typical of lateral volcanic eruptions. After reaching the summit (at a height of about 2050 mt), it will be possible to enjoy the magnificent view of the eruptive theatre and of the panorama from the Sicilian to the Calabrian coasts (the visibility could change according to weather conditions). It will follow a little downhill path along a sandy slope till the arrival at the jeeps, available for the trip back to Piano Provenzana.
Optional: possibility of returning back on foot to Piano Provenzana.
• Departure from Piano Provenzana (1800 mt) by off-road vehicles
• Start of the trekking
• Visit to the eruptive fractures till a maximum height of 2040 mt.
• Trekking downhill till the starting point
• Minimum altitude of the start of the trekking: 1900 mt – maximum altitude reached: 2050 mt.
• Total climb uphill: 150 mt (it may vary)
• Total climb downhill: 150 mt (it may vary)
• Total time: 1:30/2:00 hours
• Total kilometres: 3,5
• Difficulty: T (Touristic).
• Layered outfit (short sleeved t-shirt, long sleeved or thermal t-shirt) – (it may vary according to the season)
• Trekking shoes
• Windbreaker or quilted jacket
• Hat and gloves (according to the temperature)
• Water – minimum 1,5 L
• Possibility of renting shoes/jackets on site
• Trekking sticks
• K-way (rainproof jacket)
• Backpack 25/30 L
• Lip balm
• Extra socks
• Long pants
• Rainproof jacket
• Extra t-shirt
• Handkerchief or bandana (to protect yourself from the dust or the volcanic gases)
Trekking doesn’t require great preparations on a physical level; it consists of a simple walk without extremely difficult walkways. Anyway, you must be always careful since volcanic soil could be inconsistent and unstable.
• The trekking is not recommended for those who practice little motor activity.
• The excursion could be subjected to variations at the discretion of the guides, or it could be interrupted in case of changes of environmental, climatic or volcanic conditions that could undermine the safety of the entire group.
• The total time of the trekking trail will depend on the general pace of the group.
• The excursion will be carried out according to the limits laid down by the ordinance in force.
The route is suitable also for children over 6 years old.
• The route consists of the ascent and the walking along the crater edges, this may cause dizziness to susceptible individuals.
• This type of itinerary is suited to people in good physical health, not suffering from particular diseases (cardio-vascular and breathing issues or hypertension).
• Pregnant women who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed to take part to any excursion.
• To ensure the success of the excursion and its smooth running, it is advisable to be fully aware of one’s health conditions and, if necessary, to inform to the guides, in order to reduce the occurrence of any problems and avoid any risks.
Categories: Tours e Escursioni