Departures scheduled from Piano Provenzana everyday by 4×4 jeeps that will go up along the panoramic street that goes up to the northern side of Etna, through ancient craters and recent lava flows till a height of 2800 mt. Then it will start the ascent on foot following a path surrounded by volcanic bombs and scoria. The total climb uphill is of 300 mt, till we will reach the Central Crater at a height of 3300 mt., where we will stop to admire the greatness, the uniqueness and the processes of this volcanic environment, accompanied by the spectacle of the 360 view you can enjoy from the roof of Sicily (the visibility could change according to the weather or volcanic conditions). The downhill will be made along the same path used to go up, while the last part will be made inside little channels constituted by soft and friable volcanic scoria, on which you can walk easily without any problem adopting the necessary precautions, till a height of 2965 mt where we will find the means of transport for the trip back to Piano Provenzana.
Possibility of reaching Piano delle Concazze at a height of 2800 mt on foot and, from there, using the off-road vehicles, you will return to Piano Provenzana.
• Departures planned everyday
• Ascent with 4×4 jeeps from Piano Provenzana
• Arrival at a height of 2965 mt.
• Start of the trekking trail till Etna Summit Craters at 3300 mt.
• Downhill on ground made by volcanic sand and scoria
• Trip back by 4×4 jeeps from a height of 2965 mt to Piano Provenzana (1800 mt.)
• Total time of the trekking trail: 3 hours
• Total kilometers: 6,5 (it may vary)
• Maximum altitude reached: 3300 mt.
• Minimum altitude reached: 2965 mt.
• Total climb uphill: 300 mt (it may vary)
• Total climb downhill: 300 mt (it may vary)
• Difficulty: E (Excursionists)
• Layered outfit (short sleeved t-shirt, long sleeved or thermal t-shirt) – (it may vary according to the season)
• Trekking shoes
• Windbreaker or quilted jacket
• Hat and gloves (according to the temperature)
• Water – minimum 1,5 L
• Possibility of renting shoes/jackets on site
• Trekking sticks
• K-way (rainproof jacket)
• Backpack 25/30 L
• Lip balm
• Extra socks
• Long pants
• Rainproof jacket
• Extra t-shirt
• Handkerchief or bandana (to protect yourself from the dust or the volcanic gases)
Trekking doesn’t require great preparations on a physical level; it consists of a simple walk without extremely difficult walkways. Anyway, you must be always careful since volcanic soil could be inconsistent and unstable.
• The trekking is not recommended for those who practice little motor activity.
• The excursion could be subjected to variations at the discretion of the guides, or it could be interrupted in case of changes of environmental, climatic or volcanic conditions that could undermine the safety of the entire group.
• The total time of the trekking trail will depend on the general pace of the group.
• The excursion will be carried out according to the limits laid down by the ordinance in force.
The route is suitable also for children over 6 years old.
• The route consists of the ascent and the walking along the crater edges, this may cause dizziness to susceptible individuals.
• This type of itinerary is suited to people in good physical health, not suffering from particular diseases (cardio-vascular and breathing issues or hypertension).
• Pregnant women who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed to take part to any excursion.
• To ensure the success of the excursion and its smooth running, it is advisable to be fully aware of one’s health conditions and, if necessary, to inform to the guides, in order to reduce the occurrence of any problems and avoid any risks.
Categories: Tours e Escursioni